Is river cruising the best way to explore Europe? We think so. Nothing quite compares to the convenience of unpacking once for a trip through multiple countries. Here are the top ten reasons why you should consider taking a river cruise on your next vacation.
- Destinations –visit some of the world’s greatest cities. Many cities and towns in Europe were built alongside rivers…Paris, Vienna, Budapest just to name a few.
- Convenient & Comfortable – after boarding, unpack only once and enjoy the magnificent views from your stateroom or suite. Staterooms on many river ships include all the comforts of home such as plush down comforters and bath amenities such as the premium L’Occitane products.
- Something New Every Single Day – similar to ocean cruising, you wake up in a magnificent new destination each day. Even a day of sailing aboard a river ship affords outstanding scenery – towns, castles and vineyards are never far away …get your camera ready!
- Culture & History – river ships dock right in the heart of town… just step off and enjoy, retuning at your leisure. Additionally, many of these towns have or are designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Intimate Experience – river ships accommodate fewer guests allowing for a more intimate experience and a chance to get to know your fellow travelers.
- Inclusive Amenities –shore excursions or walking tours with local English-speaking guides are included in most ports. Many river cruise lines also include wine with lunch and dinner and other special amenities.
- Gastronomy – many people may not realize how far dining on river cruise ships has come. Most river cruise lines feature fresh local ingredients and foods from the regions you are visiting.
- Entertainment – Ok, I use this term a little loosely. No you will not be attending any huge stage productions onboard a river ship, however, many of the river cruise lines bring destination lecturers and local entertainment onboard. These evenings enrich your overall experience of the destination you are visiting.
- New Ships – Many of the river cruise lines are coming out with unique new ships. In 2012 Viking River Cruises will launch the Viking Long Ships featuring their unique Aquavit Terrace – a revolutionary indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship and grills for al fresco dining. In 2011 Uniworld christened the beautiful S.S. Antoinette, among other things this new ship has a swimming pool and several staterooms with open-air private balconies that convert to enclosed conservatories during less than favorable weather.
- It’s at Your Pace – no matter which river cruise you choose, it’s at your pace. Whether you choose to go with the group on a guided walking tour of town or rent a bike and do it on your own, it’s all at the pace of your liking. No rush, no crowds.
Now that you know, what should you do? Contact your Cruise Consultant to find the right river cruise for you. For a list of our most current offers visit our Special Offers page.
irvin saysJuly 13, 2011 at 8:15 am
is there a river cruise ship that has a bath and separate shower and what is the maximum size of such a suite ?
Alysia Murillo saysJuly 18, 2011 at 10:48 am
Mostly river ships tend to provide a shower only. However, there are some suites that do provide a separate shower and tub. Please tell us where you were thinking about going and we can give you more details on what ship in that area provides a separate shower and tub and the suites dimensions.