The ship known as the The World’s First Discovery Yacht is experiencing a season of rediscovery. Scenic Eclipse debuted in summer of 2019, and like so many other ships, had to take an extended pandemic pause for two years. Now again cruising the world’s oceans, exclusive harbors and most stunning waterways, Scenic Eclipse called on Seattle in September 2022 for travel industry professionals to step on board and inspect the ship.
We share more about that inspection in a related blog post, but here is an overview of Scenic Eclipse.
Inspired by the contours of a luxury yacht, the ship aims to set the benchmark in ultra-luxury ocean cruising, including to remote corners of the world. The ship carries up to 228 guests, with only 200 guests in the Polar regions. With the highest Ice Class rating of any luxury vessel, Scenic Eclipse can navigate Arctic and Antarctic waters. The ship has every “toy” you could imagine – a helicopter (two in Antarctica), a submarine, Zodiacs, kayaks, e-bikes, plus snorkeling, snowshoeing, and scuba diving equipment. There’s an indoor and outdoor heated pool, a lavish spa and an impressive theater. As for the service, the staff-to-guest ratio is nearly 1:1 so you can expect to be pampered. On the horizon, Scenic Eclipse II is due to launch in April 2023.
Scenic Eclipse offers a range of ultra-luxury suites, including Verandah Suites and Deluxe Verandah Suites, Spa Suites, Panorama & Grand Panorama Suites, and an Owner’s Penthouse Suite. Layouts range from the Verandah Suite at 344-366 square feet to the Owner’s Penthouse Suite at 2,099 square feet. To accommodate more guests in one totally indulgent and private retreat, guests can combine the Owner’s Penthouse Suite and a Spa Suite to create up to 2,637 square feet of space.
Every suite includes:
- A private verandah or terrace with in-suite binoculars
- Luxury king size Scenic Slumber Bed
- Separate sleep zone and lounge area
- Bathroom with shower and vanity
- Butler service
- In-suite beverage and dining service
- A full mini-bar stocked with wines, Champagne and spirits personalized to your preference, including illy coffee and specialty teas
- HDTV entertainment system and Bose® speakers
The luxuries go up from there, with some truly elaborate indulgences in the Owner’s Penthouse Suite, such as a spa day bed for in-suite private spa experiences; a private spa pool on the spacious terrace, in-suite dining with space for up to eight guests, and much more.
A Feast For Your Senses
Scenic Eclipse features 10 dining options—from French fine dining to Asian Fusion to a chef’s table. Some highlights:
- Elements is the main restaurant on board, offering breakfast, lunch and dinner for up to 104 guests. Dine with whomever you wish and enjoy a range of cuisines, including Italian, steak and seafood from an a la carte dinner menu.
- Chef’s Table @ Elements is an exclusive, by-invitation-only private dining venue. The Head Chef prepares an exquisite 11-course meal, with each dish paired with premium beverages. The Chef’s Table is directly next to the kitchen and separated by glass so guests have a front seat, yet quiet view of the action.
- At Lumière, guests are treated to French cuisine in an intimate setting of up to 35. A beautiful Champagne bar accompanies the meal.
- Authentic Asian cuisine is on the menu at Koko’s Asian Fusion, which also features a sake bar. An optional sunken seating area is inspired by traditional Japanese dining practices.
- Sushi @ Koko’s allows for an authentic Japanese dining experience at the front of Koko’s Asian Fusion. Interact with the chef if you wish, or simply enjoy the exquisitely fresh sushi.
- Night Market @ Koko’s features a classic teppanyaki grill. It is an upscale experience for only eight guests and the chef, inspired by the night market dishes of Asia, India and the Middle East.
- Stop into Azure Bar & Café most any time—start your day with coffee and a light breakfast, have a quick salad or pizza for lunch, or catch up with friends for after-dinner treats and specialty teas or aperitifs.
- The Yacht Club provides indoor and outdoor dining spaces, as well as food islands that serve up many options for breakfast and lunch.
- When you are ready to dine in the privacy of your own suite, Scenic Eclipse’s culinary team is ready for you—24 hours a day.
Additionally, Scenic Eclipse offers Scenic Épicure, masterclasses designed to delight you as you explore local cuisine with their expert chefs.
Technology & Expedition Capabilities
The six-star luxury showcased in the suites and cuisine makes it clear that Scenic Eclipse would be comfortable arriving in the toniest of European ports. But where Scenic Eclipse really stretches into new territory is in its ability to explore remote corners of the world—you could say it’s an expedition ship disguised as a luxury yacht.
Let’s circle back on some of the ship’s technology:
- Innovative zero-speed stabilizer fins, capable of providing maximum stability
- Rated as Polar Class 6, meaning it can go into the highest classes of ice that any passenger ships can go
- A GPS dynamic positioning system that allows it to position itself stationary without an anchor, reducing environmental impact and enhancing safety during Zodiac operations.
The list goes on. As mentioned previously, the helicopter and submarine provide for once-in-a-lifetime moments, soaring over dramatic landscapes or viewing marine life you never thought possible. The only extra charges with Scenic Eclipse are for these two experiences as well as spa treatments or products.
The ship’s expedition team is an expert Discovery Team of up to 20 members is on board to lead Scenic Discovery excursions and to host education programs and engaging lectures.
For the natural and cultural opportunities that Scenic Eclipse provides, along with the ultra-luxury experience of a lifetime, this is a ship we highly recommend considering for an adventure you will never forget!