Cruise Specialists World Cruise Hosts Steve and Wendy Bodenheimer offer some tips on port excursions.
Cruise lines offer excellent shore excursions designed to give you insight into the ports they visit. You’ll see the major tourist spots and cover more ground than you could by just walking the port area.
These tours can seem expensive, but someone else is taking care of all the planning, the transportation, the logistics of traffic and timing, which can be difficult and even more expensive on your own. Plus, if you take a ship tour that’s delayed, they’ll wait for you. When you go independently, you’re on your own.
We also get to take some wonderful exclusive trips with our Cruise Specialists guests that are designed and organized by the knowledgeable and dedicated staff in our Seattle office. But when we don’t have an organized trip, there are lots of great things we can do off the ship, on our own, with little or no expense.
Here are a few to consider for your next trip to a new destination:
- Take the hop on/ hop off bus for an excellent overview of bigger cities.
- Try the regional beer and/or wine at the neighborhood pub- a great place to meet the residents.
- Seek out the unique food specialties of the area.
- Visit parks to see the residents and their families at play.
- Walk through neighborhoods to see how the locals live.
- Do a self-guided walking tour- there are lots of online resources for maps.
- Take a local bus or train just for the fun of it.
- Find the botanical garden, often a quiet oasis within the big city.
- Browse community markets for great bargains and wonderful photo ops.
- Go to the beach.
- Take a hike- there’s a trail for every level.
- Visit a supermarket.
- Try unique transportation experiences like camels, elephants, funiculars or cable cars.
- Search out the highest elevation point of the port for outstanding views.
- Rent a bike.
- Attend folkloric shows to get insight into native music, dancing and culture.
- Hunt for your hobby items- postcards, magnets, mugs, geocaches, shot glasses, etc.
- Find the public library- it will often have free internet and other useful services.
- Attend a religious service- neighborhood congregations are very welcoming to visitors.
- Try geocaching, the modern day treasure hunting game- fun and free and you already know it’s a personal favorite of ours!
Whatever you choose to do, remember it’s all about the journey. Have fun!
A few of our port guides to give you more ideas:
Let our team help you find the perfect cruise and excursions to experience each destination. (888) 993-1318